Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Search Buzz Video Recap: WSJ On Google Search, Google Search Tremors, Bing Uses BERT, Google Ads & Politics & More
This was a busy week, but I start off explaining some more things around my reaction article on the Wall Street Journals piece of Google Search. I then cite a new tweet from Matt Cutts on a similar topic. Google had an algorithm…
- Google Search Result Rankings Had A Very Volatile Week: Tremors All Week?
I have to say that this week, starting from last Friday, has been pretty volatile with the organic search results. All week long, people have been asking me if there is a Google update today. Truth is, it feels like tremors all week long. The chatter and tracking tools seem to confirm this as well.
- Google: There Is No Indexing Limit For Number Of Pages Indexed Per Site
I’ve been covering search for a while and sometimes you see questions you really haven’t seen before, this is one of those times. Someone asked Google’s John Mueller if Google still has an indexing limit of 250 static pages per web site. The answer is no, Google has no limit but I’ve never seen that question asked before.
- Google Ads Bid Strategy Report With New Top Bidding Signals
Google Ads announced new data available in the bid strategy report that shows you the top bidding signals. These signals can include device type, location, day of week, time of day, keywords and more.
- New Google Meta Tag Resulted In Pages Not Being Indexed: Now Fixed
One of the new Google snippet controls, the new meta tags, recently launched, had a bug where it can trigger Google to deindex the specific page. If you used max-image-preview tag and set the value to none, it would result in Google removing the page from the index. Google confirmed the issue and said a fix is rolling out and the affected pages will be reprocessed.
- Google Negative SEO Attack Response: These Links Have No Effect
Google has been saying negative SEO is really not a thing and has been saying that for years and years. But it is rare to see a Googler respond to a specific concern raised by an SEO. But that is what John Mueller of Google did the other day.
- Dog Relaxing On Google Bench
Here is a photo shared by someone one on Instagram showing how a dog, probably a Doogler, is resting on one of the benches at the GooglePlex, the main Google offices. Even Google dogs need a break he
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- Google News Optimization: 11 common mistakes and how to avoid them, Search Metrics
- Google’s John Mueller on Structured Data, Speed, Disavows, Legacy Penalties & Much More [PODCAST], Search Engine Journal
- Increase Marketing Productivity in 6 Steps with SEO Technology, Conductor
- Introducing the SEO A/B Testing Whitepaper, Distilled
- Search Console showing errors in your product structured data?, Yoast
- Yoast SEO 12.5.1: Patch release for time-offset issue, Yoast
- Free web-based robots.txt parser based on Google’s open source C++ parser, Distilled