Here is a recap of what happened in the search forums today, through the eyes of the Search Engine Roundtable and other search forums on the web.
Search Engine Roundtable Stories:
- Google Thanksgiving Search Algorithm Ranking Update
There are a nice number of SEOs and webmasters in the forums claiming they saw huge changes in terms of their rankings in Google starting on November 22nd or so. Since it was Thanksgiving day and traffic is always off on holidays, I wanted to wait it out. But there are many claims of an update, possibly a reversal of the Medic Update for some that were originally hit.
- Google Really Launches Zero Search Results For Time, Conversions & Math
This is not a joke, Google has officially launched showing zero search results – yes, showing no actual search results – for a some very specific types of queries. When someone searches for time/date, conversion or math related answers – Google may just show the answer with a button to click to see the search results.
- Google Tests Featured Snippet Image Carousel
Google is also testing a format for the featured snippets that lets you see multiple images in the position zero slot with a carousel format. So you can flip through the images in the featured snippet format.
- Google My Business Updates Service Area Businesses Sign Up
Joy Hawkins noticed that Google recently updated the steps in Google My Business for service area businesses to sign up. Joy said they changed the process for some of the clients she manages.
- Google Featured Snippet Refinement Bubbles Video Option
Google seems to be showing a special query refinement option in the featured snippets section to show videos. Eric Hedekar from Moz (formerly STAT) shared two screen shots of this in action on Twitter.
- Trojan Horse At Google Office
Looks like someone placed a trojan horse at the Google Zurich office. Someone on Twitter shared the photo and wrote “Someone attacked the Google office in Zurich with a Trojan horse.”
Other Great Search Forum Threads:
Search Engine Land Stories:
Other Great Search Stories:
Industry & Business
Links & Promotion Building
Local & Maps
Mobile & Voice
- How to rank high in Google, Yoast
- What Is International SEO?, AccuraCast
- Google is Showing Zero Search Results for Time, Calculations & Conversions. Again., Sergey Alakov
- 6 Old School SEO Habits That Never Grow Old, Search Engine Journal
- Rank Ranger’s Beta Blitz 2018! New, Never-Seen SEO Tools, RankRanger
- Trust-Centric Marketing and SEO, Stone Temple
- What is EAT?, Marie Haynes Consulting
- What to Do with Your Old Blog Posts, Moz